Here we go.

04 March 2009

Bittman Smitten

It's no secret that I worship the ground Mark Bittman treads on. If you want to have a peek at his personal pantry, look no further!


Says he:

I am a dry-goods fiend. I try to stock every whole grain and legume I like, a lot of nuts and dried fruit, and of course the usual stuff — pasta, jars of jam that people give me and I don’t eat, canned tomatoes, dried chiles (which I buy whenever I go to Mexico or the Southwest, in big quantities that take up more room than I have), chicken stock (which I no longer use but can’t throw out either), canned beans (pretty much the same), any cracker that I might find interesting etc. etc. etc.

This isn’t my entire “pantry,” but it’s 80 percent of it. The top shelf, which you can barely see (I couldn’t move back any further), is filled with chiles and empty jars, of which I’m very proud: They represent things I’ve actually consumed. [If you want to read the entire post, click here.]

If you enjoy cooking like me, you've probably watched some Ina Garten or Good Eats. They have formidable pantries that I can't even compete with. It's good to know that my favorite cook has a "real" and normal pantry.

5 comments:

Alannah said...

He was on Colbert last night!

Love that man.

AMD & KMHD said...

Was he? I may have to Y-tube that!

nicole said...

A friend/coworker is getting married in May. Our agency is throwing her a "Stock the Pantry" party. Boulevard is great for this sort of stuff, but do you have any suggestions? Not sure how much she cooks or bakes... so perhaps something that keeps for ages? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

AMD & KMHD said...

Nicole, a nice bottle of balsamic vinegar or olive oil will do nicely.

nicole said...

Good deal, thanks!

Blog Archive